Sunday, December 31, 2017

Books read, 2017

I didn't read very much prose in 2017. Comic books bear a lot of the responsibility. The Nintendo Switch is to blame as well. And finding and moving into a new apartment in the final third of the year didn't make things any easier. But I got back on track in December, and I expect that will continue into the New Year.

Asterisks mean I was rereading something. So I only read 16 new books this year. On the plus side, only four books I spent money on in 2017 remain unfinished (and two of those are the third and fourth volumes of Caro on LBJ-- I'm still working on the third right now), so from a standpoint of financial prudence it was a pretty good year.

January
1. Dan Chaon, Ill Will
2. Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning: Rare Edition*
3. Lemony Snicket, The Reptile Room*
4. Sue Grafton, H is for Homicide
5. Lemony Snicket, The Wide Window*
6. Lemony Snicket, The Miserable Mill*
7. Lemony Snicket, The Austere Academy*
8. Lemony Snicket, The Ersatz Elevator*
9. Lemony Snicket, The Vile Village*

February
1. Reggie Oliver, Holidays from Hell
2. Sue Grafton, I is for Innocent
3. Georgette Heyer, The Nonesuch
4. Sue Grafton, J is for Judgment
5. Thomas Ligotti, Songs of a Dead Dreamer*

March
1. Joan Didion, South and West: From a Notebook
2. Joan Didion, Blue Nights*
3. Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking*
4. Joan Didion, Where I Was From*
5. Joan Didion, Political Fictions*
6. Salvatore Pane, Mega Man 3
7. Jarett Kobek, Soft and Cuddly

April
1. Joan Didion, After Henry*
2. Joan Didion, Miami*
3. Joan Didion, Salvador*
4. David Sedaris, Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002

May
1. Joan Didion, The White Album*
2. Joan Didion, Slouching Towards Bethlehem*
3. Robert Caro, The Path to Power

June
1. Robert Caro, Means of Ascent


July
1. Alexa Ray Correia, Kingdom Hearts II


August
1. Zoe Heller, Notes on a Scandal*

September
[none]


October
[none]


November
[none]


December
1. Philip Pullman, La Belle Sauvage
2. Matthew Sullivan, Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore 
3. Caitlin R. Kiernan, The Red Tree*
4. Georgette Heyer, Arabella
5. Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol*

6 comments:

  1. I see that you reviewed the book “The Time Traveler’s Wife” before. I have written a book that is similar to that. Would you be willing to let me provide you with a copy of the book in hopes that you would consider reviewing my book as well?
    My name is Brian Paone, and the book I want to send is titled “Yours Truly, 2095”. You can find a link to it here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yours-Truly-2095-Brian-Paone/dp/0991309162/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521211432&sr=8-1&keywords=Yours+Truly%2C+2095
    I can provide it to you as a digital file in either Kindle or as a PDF. It’s up to you.
    Of course, I understand that you are under zero obligation to review my book, and if you do review it, all I ask is that you leave an honest review. I am simply looking for the opportunity to have you consider it.
    Thank you. I look forward to your response.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Paone
    author

    ReplyDelete


  2. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. เล่นบาคาร่า
    This are such great articles. เล่นบาคาร่า This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
    เล่นบาคาร่า I appreciate for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete

  3. This are new articles style for you. เล่นบาคาร่า You can find some new idea on this. เล่นบาคาร่า It might help you to write or think some new idea.
    เล่นบาคาร่า Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    เล่นบาคาร่า I am very glad for reading my articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont think you should have your cranium
    in a book - thats toooo whorizontal, dude, and you'll miss the Rapture; rather, you
    should repent, give (as much as you can) N pray sHe will not miss you in the Rapture.
    YOUR CHOICE, bro.
    YOUR DEMISE.
    Solution??
    JMJ + SOS
    -GBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Karina, I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed about of becoming a VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and I bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete